What is investor readiness?
Investor readiness is the process of getting your business to the point that equity investors are willing to invest in your business.
Attracting equity investors requires an accurate understanding of what the investor is looking for and how the venture will be perceived along those dimensions. This is where the Business Plan is key.
At InterTradeIreland we have been supporting start ups and early stage businesses for nearly 20 years and have adopted the business cube methodology to business planning for the last 12 years.
The business cube is a simple and intuitive tool that outlines the key information components that investors look for when evaluating investment opportunities. Therefore it is a useful guide for Start Ups to address those key issues in which potential investors will have greatest interest.
Components of the Cube
The Business Plan should be structured as follows:
- Executive Summary
- Business Overview
- Market Opportunity
- Industry & Competition
- Product or Service Proposition
- Marketing Plan
- Management Team
- Key Risks
- Financial Plan
- Exit Strategy4Summary
Download your free copy of the Business Cube here. This document will provide you with simple recommendations regarding the specific content for each of the sections outlined above and how to determine how much weighting should be afforded to each.
Useful Hints and Tips
- A considerable amount of information is required in a business plan.
- Pay particular attention to presentation – first impressions are important. Approximately 95% of business plans are rejected often because their presentation lets them down.
- Be frank – if you misrepresent something, the astute reader will see through it and will not be impressed.
- Make every effort to sustain the reader’s attention from start to finish.
- Ensure the logic, proposals and assumptions are consistent throughout your business plan.
- Do not underestimate the time taken between presenting the business plan and receiving the required finance. Depending on the type of finance required, the delay could be anything from a few weeks to several months.
Business Planning Workshops
We are also holding a number of Business Planning Workshops across the island during the coming weeks. Find out more
If you have any additional queries please contact our Funding Advisory Team who are here to help.